Monday, July 25, 2016

On The Lord's Errand

Dear all, 

There is one passage of scripture that has come to mean much to me as a missionary, especially in the last nine months:

"Wherefore, as ye are agents, ye are on the Lord’s errand; and whatever ye do according to the will of the Lord is the Lord’s business...

"But all things must come to pass in their time.

"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great" (D&C 64:29, 32-33). 

As I have worked with my companions here in the Balcones Heights ward, I have seen many mighty miracles. We have worked hard and well and have declared the gospel to many people, feeling both excitement and disappointment, but never discouragement. As we pressed forward, we had faith in the Lord's promise that we were laying the foundation of a great work. 

All things truly do come to pass in their time! This last Saturday--my last in the mission field--we were blessed with an opportunity to watch Malina enter the waters of baptism. Her entire family is returning to activity in the church and reaping the blessings of the gospel. As I sat in the baptismal service, I reflected on the many people who have come close to baptism in the last nine months, but didn't quite make it. Robbin, Jan, Danny, Erica and Isaac, Linda... But we were not weary in well-doing and continued the work of the Lord and found Malina and her family. How sweet was our joy! The worth of souls truly is great in the eyes of God! 

I was pondering this scripture yesterday morning before sacrament meeting began. Imagine my surprise when ROBBIN walked into the chapel. After seven months of working to be in a better position to be baptized, she was ready and decided to come back to church. After her arrival, I had the opportunity to watch Sister Jimenez, Brother Smith, and Brother Bryant walk in one-by-one. We have spent the last few months working with each of these wonderful people, helping them return to the church and gospel they once embraced. My mind turned to the many other people I've had the privilege of working with as a missionary. As the prelude music continued to fill my ears, the Spirit filled my heart. Any doubts that I had about the effectiveness of my work as a missionary were erased. What a incredible opportunity it has been to be on the Lord's errand! 

This passage of scripture continues with the phrase: "Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind..." This phrase reminds me of Amaleki's admonition in the Book of Mormon: "... come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him..." (Omni 1:26).  This is what I have offered to my Father, and He has taken what little I had to give and molded me into something I never imagined. 

The Lord has taught me many wonderful things, and I know of their surety and truth because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in me. Many of the spiritual truths that I have learned as a missionary are truths that I have been taught from my youth up, but did not sink deep into my heart until I served the Lord. 

The greatest truth that has been deeply rooted into my heart is that fact that I am a child of the Creator of universes. The Maker of every single grain of sand knows and loves me personally. There is no doubt of that in my heart; the significance of such a truth is not lost on me.

In fact, the Father loved me so much that He sent His Son to atone for me that I might return to His presence and receive eternal life. Jesus is the Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of mankind. There is no other name given nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men. 

The pure and undistorted teachings of Jesus Christ--the gospel--have been restored once again upon the earth through the Lord's chosen servant, Joseph Smith. Every priesthood key necessary for the Kingdom of God to function on earth has been restored and is exercised each day by authorized servants. The Book of Mormon is powerful evidence of this Restoration and of the love of God for all men. 

The thing that has been impressed upon my heart most often is the simplicity of the gospel. Because the Lord has brought me to a sure knowledge of the cornerstones of His gospel, my foundation is sure. I have been given the opportunity to sink my roots deep into gospel sod and I will never be moved. 

I have been asked many times why I chose to serve a mission. The answer has changed slightly over time, but Lehi's words summarize my feelings nicely: 

"...it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit [of the tree of life]; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.

"And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit" (1 Nephi 8:11-12).

I desire above all else that every single person-my brothers and sisters-have the opportunity to partake of the gospel. I came into the mission field desiring to proclaim the restored gospel that has changed my life. 

As I near the close of my mission, my thoughts turn to the words of Alma: 

"...I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

"Yea, and now behold, O my son, the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors;

"For because of the word which he has imparted unto me, behold, many have been born of God, and have tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God" (Alma 36:24-26).

I cannot say the smallest part of the joy I have felt in the Lord's service. Have we not great reason to rejoice? There is no greater errand than that Lord's. I pledge now and forever that if the Lord ever needs an errand run, I will run it for him.

Shall we not go on in so great a cause? 

I love you all! 
Sister Waite