Thursday, July 7, 2016

This Isn't Your Burden to Carry

Dear all, 

The last ten days have been the busiest of my mission. We said goodbye to one mission president and welcomed another, met with him on several occasions, gave training at zone conferences and other meetings, taught repentance without ceasing, and attended the temple this morning (on our adjusted Preparation day). 

At the temple!
I cannot tell the smallest part of my joy as I participate in this great work. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ blesses so many lives and it has been a blessing to spread it every single day for the last 18 months. I love my Savior so much, and it amazes me to see and feel His love every day. 

At the temple!
Nearly one year ago, I received counsel from my mission president that I still think about every day. I went into an interview wondering how to help my companion through some trials she was facing. I expressed all of my concerns to President Slaughter, giving as many details as I could and ending with the question, "How can I help her?" I remember that he looked at me and smiled a little bit before saying something like: "Sister Waite, you can only control what you can control and you shouldn't sweat the stuff you can't. Your companion will be okay. This isn't your burden to carry." 

Sister Hardman and me with Sisters Slaughter and Polley
I took from that what I'm sure he meant for me to take. I went away and didn't worry and everything worked out well. It turned out that there really wasn't anything for me to actually worry about. I was grateful for the counsel that I received, and I've applied it many times since. 

But this week I realized a greater meaning to the phrase: "This isn't your burden to carry." 

I came away from that interview with the impression that if it wasn't my burden to carry, then it must be my companion's burden and I should just leave it alone. I was to support her, of course, but it wasn't my responsibility to try to carry the burden for her. This was her opportunity for growth, and I watched her grow so much! 

This week, though, I know more than ever that the burden wasn't mine. 

But it wasn't my companion's either. 

It was the Lord's. 

Mission Leadership Conference
There have been many times in my life when I have felt like my burdens--however small they would seem to others--were too much for me to carry. I have struggled under the weight of heartbreak and disappointment. I have felt the pain of sin, the distress of loss, and the sting of death. I have experienced the difficulty of pressing forward in a seemingly endless storm of darkness that surrounds us every day. 

However, this is not unique to me. This a very real part of everyone's life. 

Happy 4th of July!!
But what I've learned is that too often we make our rallying cry, "I can do all things through Christ!" and fail to recognize what is really happening. 

We can do nothing of ourselves. We carry these burdens and think that we can endure it on our own, with only a little help from the Savior. But that is not the case, and never will be the case. 

"...I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak..." (Alma 26:12)

There's something that changes in us when we realize that we never have to struggle through trials on our own.

"And [Christ] shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities" (Alma 7:11-12). 

Christ has already learned to carry our burdens. Wouldn't it be much easier to let Him carry them? 

Drove to Austin (my first area) for Zone Conference.
He Himself has invited us to come unto Him for help: 

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

In Mosiah 24, we read the account of a righteous people who were laden with many burdens and persecutions. There is much to learn from that story. We read that the people "cried mightily to God" for help, and that is was only after they had done so that the voice of the Lord come unto them, saying: 

"...I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs..." (Mosiah 24:14). 

As we continue reading, we learn that "the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease" (Mosiah 24:15). 

It was only because these people had come unto the Lord that He was able to help them with their burdens. This same principle applies to us. 

"As we rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He can help us endure our trials, sicknesses, and pain. We can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation" (Preach My Gospel, 52). 

"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved" (Psalm 55:22). 

The Savior knows us and loves us. And He pleads with us to allow Him to help us. He is  there. HE can help. He WILL help. Rely on Him. 

This is not your burden to carry. 

I love you all! 
Sister Waite